Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Missing Mae Howard!I can't say exactly when I actually met Mae Howard. It had to be some 20 years ago in the early part of my ministry in the Washington-Virginia District, New York-Washington Conference. There was this lady who always raised her hand during the annual conferences and meetings and had something to say. To say that Mae was "fiesty" is an understatement. Some people thought she was really "over the top." But for me, Mae was just a really good friend. I was her "little brother." When I became editor in 1998, Mae taught me a lot about conducting the business of the Index. She had worked with Bishop Reddick when he was editor, and she brought that knowledge and experience with her in working with me. For several CME Convocations and the 2002 General Conference, Mae was the business manager for the Daily Index. She was very tough, to say the least. Some of the team members would come to me and say, "Dr. Jones," do we have to answer to Mae or can we answer to just you?" I would say, "Go to Mae!" Most of us still laugh about that to this day. I loved Mae Howard. She spoke her mind and didn't care who didn't like it. Of course sometimes that got her in trouble a bit, but she could handle it. She is truly being missed.

No comments: