FROM THE DESK OF DR. CARMICHAEL CRUTCHFIELD ON CYYAC12
Greetings! Over the last four years we have been working on the Connectional Youth and Young Adult Conferences. Of course the intensity of our work has changed month by month and now that we are a month away from July 2, we are sprinting.
The staff has generated numerous emails, made many phone calls, answered many questions and tried to be customer friendly in the process. I think it is now a good time for me to outline some key concerns and give some important reminders.
1. We want to remind everyone that CYYAC12 is a C.M.E. Christian education sponsored event and much energy has been expended to provide an excellent conference. However, there is one thing we cannot do as planners of the conference. We cannot guarantee the participation of our youth in conference sponsored events. We need pastors, chaperones, christian educators, youth directors and all adults on board making sure our youth participate.
2. We have designated Thursday, July 5, 2012, as our day at Magic Kingdom. We have negotiated a $75 price that includes a ticket to the park and transportation to and from the park. We want our youth to go together on the transportation we have secured. Please note these purchases are made via the website www.thecmechurchced.org. Purchase by credit card or debit card. If you choose to pay by check, mail to the Department of Christian Education PO Box 16507 Memphis, TN 38186-6507. These tickets must be purchased in advance.
3. We have secured a method of providing bus transportation from the airport to the hotel. We need to know your flight numbers, airlines, times of arrival, and departure so that we can plan properly. We need this information emailed to us immediately. Flight information should be emailed to email@example.com.
4. We have a Graduate Luncheon Wednesday, July 4, 2012, and a Praise Fest that evening. Everyone is invited. The cost of these two events (meals) is $40 in total. This is within the $50 estimated for meals. Please note purchases are to be made via the website www.thecmechurchced.org. This allows for us to have an accurate count, thus, we can make adequate arrangements for meals. Purchase by credit card or debit card. If you choose to pay by check, mail to the Department of Christian Education PO Box 16507 Memphis, TN 38186-6507.
5. If you have not made a hotel registration by June 1, you are subject to a higher hotel cost than the $120 per night conference rate. Make sure you are registered for the hotel by Friday, June 1, 2012.
6. We have extended the $150 registration fee to June 15, 2012. After that date registration will only be available on site at a fee of $200.
7. We have two contracted hotel sites, the Rosen Shingle Creek and Rosen Plaza. All registered participants are expected to stay in these two hotels. Everyone staying at hotel sites outside of our contract are costing the conference money. We still plan to charge an additional $50 for those staying at other hotels than the two aforementioned properties. Please note the conference will not take responsibility for transporting individuals to the conference who are not staying at the Rosen Shingle Creek and Rosen Plaza properties.
8. Remember Chaperones are responsible for Youth. Youth need to be in all sessions and all events scheduled for the Conference. We will be on a tight schedule and there will not be time for youth to go off-site for meals. We have arranged with the hotels discounted prices for meals purchased at hotel restaurants and eateries. There will not be time for Chaperones to take youth off site and return in time for scheduled events. REMEMBER THE PURPOSE OF THE CONFERENCE – IT IS A CHRISTIAN FORMATION AND NURTURING MINISTRY PROVIDED BY THE C.M.E. CHURCH AND IT WILL ONLY BE AS EFFECTIVE AS ALL OF US WORKING TOGETHER MAKE IT. We have included downtime and fun time in the schedule. The Conference begins at noon July 2 and ends at Noon on July 6. No other activities outside of Conference activities should be scheduled between these designated times.
9. We have decided to extend the time for submittal of Presentations to June 15, 2012. We are in need of more submittals for our Orchestra. If you have youth who play musical instruments, please encourage them to participate in our Orchestra and submit an entry form.
10. Please consult your Conference resource guide to make sure all releases and covenants are properly executed. This document can be purchased on-line at the Department’s e-store.
11. Children ministry for ages 5-11 is open to all children in attendance. The fee for children remains at $100.00. Registration can be done on site at the Wekiwa registration desk.
12. The Conference Chaperone Handbook can be downloaded from the Department’s website at no charge. Go to www.thecmechurchced.org.
13. The revised schedule will be posted on line as we finalize it over the next few days.
Finally, thank you for making the Connectional Youth and Young Adult Conference a priority this summer. We are looking forward to the experience of once again serving to provide this ministry to the children, youth, young adults, clergy, christian educators, youth directors, and all other adults who are chaperones. Continue to pray for the conference!
Dr. Carmichael D. Crutchfield
Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
General Secretary, Department of Christian Education